Two airbases and a convoy have been attacked by explosives and drones.
According to military and security officials, fresh strikes utilizing explosives and drones have targeted American forces in Iraq.
According to the sources, there were three attacks on Thursday, bringing the total number of assaults that US and partner forces stationed around the Middle East have experienced since the Israel-Hamas war began on October 7 to over 40.
In addition to two drone attacks on bases, an improvised explosive device (IED) explosion near Mosul Dam also targeted a coalition convoy commanded by the United States.
Security sources said that an Iraqi counterterrorism unit was with the patrol and that one of the patrol’s vehicles was damaged. The officer also stated that three US troops received minor injuries but were back on duty.
Drone strikes targeted coalition and American soldiers at the al-Harir airfield in Erbil and the Ain al-Asad airbase west of Baghdad. The reports said that both drones were destroyed before they could reach their destination.
The strike at al-Harir had resulted in a fire at one of its fuel bunkers, according to a statement from Iraqi Kurdistan’s counterterrorism service. However, it also stated that the airbase had been evacuated on October 20 by coalition troops commanded by the United States.
US and coalition forces have been assaulted in Iraq and Syria at least forty times since the start of the conflict between Israel and Hamas. According to the Pentagon, 56 American workers have been hurt in these strikes thus far, but they have all returned to work.
Iran is charged by the US of “actively facilitating” drone and rocket assaults against US soldiers in Iraq and Syria by proxy organizations with Iranian support.
Tehran disputes these allegations, claiming that the groups carrying out the attacks did so on their own free will.
Tehran “neither gives orders to the resistance groups across the region, nor stops them from taking decisions in their own countries based on their own interests,” according to Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian.
He declared on Friday that an expansion of the Gaza conflict’s scope is “inevitable.”
As long as the US backs Israel in its conflict with Gaza, according to the organizations in Iraq that have attacked US military installations, the attacks will not stop.
The US launched an attack in Syria on October 26 as part of its sporadic retaliation against groups in the region who get support from Iran.
According to a statement made by US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, Washington “does not seek conflict and has no intention nor desire to engage in further hostilities.”
However, he went on, saying, “These attacks against US forces, backed by Iran, are unacceptable and must stop.”