Britain’s Prince Harry will attend the Coronation next month of his father King Charles but without his wife Meghan, the couple said on Wednesday, bringing an end to months of speculation about whether they would go.
Charles will be crowned in a ceremony that dates back 1,000 years, surrounded by foreign heads of state and dignitaries. But the participation of his youngest son had been in doubt after the 38-year-old heavily criticised his family in a book and documentary series.
Buckingham Palace and a spokesperson for the couple confirmed that Harry, known as the Duke of Sussex, would attend the May 6 event while Meghan would remain in California with the couple’s two young children.
Their eldest, Archie, turns four on the same day.
“Buckingham Palace is pleased to confirm that The Duke of Sussex will attend the Coronation Service at Westminster Abbey,” the palace spokesperson said.
The Duchess of Sussex will remain in California with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.”
Harry and Meghan stepped down from royal duties in 2020 and moved to California, saying they wanted to forge a new, independent life, free of the scrutiny of the British press.
They agreed with the royal family that they would not take part in any future official royal events or tours, and they have only been seen in Britain on a handful of occasions since they left, including for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth, who died after a 70-year reign.
Among their many accusations, they said some royals, including stepmother Camilla and brother William – the heir to the throne – had leaked stories to tabloid newspapers to protect themselves or enhance their reputations.